Wednesday, November 11, 2015

ON THE ROAD AND CHASING THE BUCKET LIST.

Well, here I am On The Road. Unlike some of the trips that I have taken over the years, I actually have a plan for this one. In fact I have been planning and saving for this trip for several months. This is actually a 60th birthday gift to myself and it will allow me to cross a few things off of my bucket list.    

So at 7:00 a.m. I pull out of my driveway it is partly cloudy and Hannah Honda tell me it is 47 degrees as I pull onto Interstate 81 and head north.  Unlike yesterday, when it was pouring rain, today is a much better day for traveling.

Today, like most first day of my vacations, was all about miles; very few stops and plenty of miles. I make good time as traffic is relatively light on the interstate. As I make my way past mile marker 283 near Mount Jackson, Virginia I am reminded that today is Veterans Day. A lone veteran is standing on an overpass, holding an American Flag and waving at the motorist passing below.  I am not the only one who blows their horn and waves as we pass under the bridge.  It is because of men and women like the one standing on this over pass that I am able to travel freely and without restriction. It is because of our veterans that FREEDOM CONTINUES TO RING all across America.  Thank You to all of our veterans, God Bless you.

Some three hours and 55-minutes, I leave Virginia and cross into West Virginia.  In less 30-minutes I travel through 4-states. Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Like, I said, today is all about miles and at 12:30 I put 300-miles in my rear view mirror as I pass through Carlisle, Pennsylvania. A quick stop at Sheetz for gas and it back on the road. With over 136,000 miles on her, little Hannah Honda is still going strong and I got over 48-miles to the gallon on this tank of gas. I was able to fill the tank for under $20.00.

A short time later I cross the Susquehanna River a Harrisburg.  Looking to the south, I see the dome of the Pennsylvania State Capitol.  It doesn’t take any time at all to motor around Pennsylvania’s Capital City.  Shortly after making my way around Harrisburg I start making my way up the mountains of  central Pennsylvania. 

There is little to see between Harrisburg and Wilkes Barre and there are numerous areas of construction which slows my pace just a little.  The Waze’s App on my cell phone alerts me that traffic is at a dead stop going up the mountain south of Hazelton, Pennsylvania, and reroutes me off of the interstate onto some county roads.  After about 15-miles, of winding my way through the back roads I am back on Interstate 81 at exit 131. Off to the west is a large windmill farm stretching for several miles across the top of the mountains.

After a couple of hours of basically nothing, I drop down into Wilkes Barre and continue making good time passing through neighboring Scranton and 450-miles are down.

The last 50 miles or so click off quickly and I finally cross over into the Empire State just north of Halstead, Pennsylvania.  One of the bad things about traveling in November is I am back on Standard Time and it is dark a little after 5 p.m. So when I pull into the Comfort Inn in Binghamton, New York a little after 5 p.m. it is almost totally dark.


I find a Friendly’s Restaurant nearby and after a quick dinner I made my way back to the Motel and hit the treadmill for an hour. Both the treadmill and my FITBIT says I hit 4-miles and a little over 8,000 steps. As I post this it’s overcast and drizzling rain. Tomorrow, I will make my way to the Village of Cooperstown, and walk with the legends at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment