Saturday, June 25, 2016

VISITING THE BABE AND BILLY THE KID

(November 14, 2015) Last night while I was having supper at the 84 Diner, I saw on the TV where there had been a terrorist attack in Paris.As the night went on the news from France was not good and this morning the news was event worst and would end up altering my plans for today.

Today was the day that I had chosen to ride the train into New York. My plan was to drive down to the Peekskill Station and catch the train into New York City. But when I arrived at the Station security was very high and there was a very long ling entering the area.  So I quickly moved on to Plan B, and made my way over to the Taconic State Parkway and headed down to Hawthorne, New York.

Sunday was going to be a day that I had set aside to visit the area cemeteries but with the heightened security in New York, I opted to spend the day chasing down some to the more famous graves that can be found in the lower Hudson Valley.

My first stop of the morning was The Gates Of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, New York. I had downloaded a cemetery map on my phone but it was still kind of hard locating the grave sites that I was looking for.  Once I got to the right section I ended up walking the section in an attempt to find the grave.  One thing that helped is this cemetery allows headstones, which allow me to check several rows at one time.

John McSherry
The first grave site on that I was able to locate was that of John McSherry. As a long time high school and college umpire, I wanted to pay my respects to one of the the Major Leagues best umpires.  John was a Major League Umpire from 1971 -1995.  During his career he worked two World Series (1977 and 1987), eight National League Championship Series and three All-Star Games.   I remember John was the home plate umpire during the 6th game of the 1977 World Series at Yankee Stadium. It was in this game that Reggie Jackson belted three home runs off of three different Dodger Pitchers.

John was scheduled to open the 1996 season working the plate in Cincinnati. Seven pitches into the game, John called time, took a few steps toward the Reds Dugout and collapsed. He died of a massive heart attack. He was 51-years old.

Bess Houdini
A short time later I was able to find the grave of Bess Houdini, the wife and stage partner of Harry Houdini. Bess and Harry were married for 32-years and accompanied him on stage throughout his career.  After Harry died in 1926, Bess opened a tea house in New York. Later, she moved to Hollywood and continued to promote Harry's Memory. On Halloween 1936, she conducted the "Final Houdini Seance on the roof of the Knickerbocker Hotel in Hollywood. For several years others with Bess's blessing continued to conduct the seance. Whether or not they were successful or not depends on who you talk too.  On February 11, 1943, Bess Houdni was traveling by train from Los Angeles to New York. Near Needles, California she suffered a fatal heart attack. She was 67-years old.  Be raised in the Catholic Church, her family would not permit her to be buried beside Harry in the Machpelh (Jewish) Cemetery.  Instead she is buried here in the Gates of Heaven Cemetery.

Babe Ruth
Next, I was off to probably the most visited grave at Gates of Heaven. Buried in section 25, just a few yards apart are two great New York Yankees. My first stop in section 25 was at the grave site of the Sultan of Swat, George Herman "Babe" Ruth.  One of the most beloved Yankees, The Babe was a member of the first Hall of Fame Class in Cooperstown. In 1927, he hit 60-Home Runs, which is still the record for a 154-game season. His 714 career home runs was the record until Hank Aaron pass him in 1974.   Babe Ruth died on August 16, 1948 from complication of throat cancer. He was honored for two day as his body lay in repose at the main entrance to Yankee Stadium, where thousands of people stood in line to pay their respects. His funeral mass was conducted at St. Patrick's Cathedral, and following the service he was laid to rest here in the Gates of Heaven Cemetery.

Billy Martin
Just around the corner from Babe Ruth, rest another proud Yankee, Billy Martin. "Billy the Kid," spent 11 seasons in the Major Leagues and was named the American League Most Valuable Player in 1953. After his playing career ended, his managerial career began, first with the Minnesota Twins then briefly with the Tigers and Rangers.  He became manager of his beloved Yankees in 1975 and lead the Bronx Bombers to the World Series Championship in 1977. He was fire as Yankee Manager for the first time in 1978 and moved on to manage the Oakland A's from 1980 - 1982.  Billy returned to the Yankees as manage a couple of more time, in 1983, 1985 and again in 1988. Had Martin not been killed in a vehicle accident on Christmas Day 1989 he would have returned for his 6 stint as Yankee Manager in 1990. Billy tomb stone is inscribed "I may not have been the greatest Yankee to put on the Uniform, but I was the proudest."
James Cagney
It was cold and wind during my visit to the Gates of Heaven Cemetery, and the morning was slipping away from me.  The were several other cemeteries on my list but as I was leaving I decided to make one final stop. Located near the entrance is the 8-wing mausoleum.  The multi-talented actor James Cagney is entombed in wing #1.  James Cagney was could play the tough guy in one movie and be a comedian in the next, while also starring as a song and dance man.  He died at his Dutchess County Fame on Easter Sunday in 1986.  He as 86 years old. During his funeral mass, his good friend and President of the United States, Ronald Reagan delivered the eulogy.  Following the service he was interred in
this crypt in the Gates of Heaven Cemetery's Garden Mausoleum.

From the Gates of Heaven Cemetery it was just a short 5-minute drive to the Kensico Cemetery where I will continue my adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment