Tuesday, August 4, 2020

UPDATE AND RAMBLINGS

What has been going on in my world you ask? Not a lot. I am still staying pretty much close to home and practicing social distancing. While some of the restrictions have been lifted here in the Old Dominion a lot of people in my immediate area are still concerned at bout the virus now that the Radford University Students are moving back to campus. And a larger concentration of Virginia Tech Students will be back in the next few days. 

I fully expect to see a dramatic surge in cases in my immediate area over the next few weeks.  I makes very little sense to me to limit gatherings like church services, outdoor events while bringing thousands of outsiders back into an area that by and large has has a pretty low number of infections so far.  I have very little confidence in the University Administrators, the Local and State Governments ability to manage anything. 

The full time local residents of the area have done a really good job of social distancing and managing the new normal and now you are going to bring back thousands of students from not only all over the United States but all over the world. Not knowing where they have been and who they have been in contact with over the last several month, makes absolutely not sense to me.  These decisions on both a national and state levels further lends credibility to the theory that this entire plandemic is a political stunt.

I have no doubt that COVID-19 is real and it is a serious illness and I really don't want to take a chance on getting sick as I am a really back patient. I will continue to social distance, and when requested by local businesses, wear a mask when shopping. Not necessarily, because I think wearing a mask serves any purpose, but out of respect for the business owner so as not to cause them any problems with the government. 

I am also going back to using home delivery for groceries and restaurant meals now that the students are back in the area.  Again I have little doubt that the infection rate is going to increase significantly and I just don't want to take a chance on getting sick. 

Enough about all that.  One of my friends ask me the other day what were my plans for the rest of the year. Basically, I am just taking it day by day.  From what I am seeing and hearing I probably won't be attending any college football games this year.  All indication are that the games will be played in stadiums completely free of fans or attendance will be limited to only the most significant donors.Plus, like I have said, a college campus is probably the most dangerous place you could be if you are concerned about the virus.

It also doesn't look like the same may be true for the College Basketball season. Like football most of the revenue comes from TV Money so their will probably be a season so the NCAA and the Conferences can reap some benefits from the Media Money.

I know it's a long time off and my chances of attending the 2021 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament is considerably less than 50%. I have at least started glancing at tournament sites and dates.  If I attend, the two most likely sites will be Raleigh, North Carolina or Dallas Texas.  Wichita, Kansas comes in a distant third right now. 

For now and for the rest of the year, my plans are to continue to take day trips that allows me to get out while still social distancing.  I am considering reviving something that I have been kicking around for a year or two. That is to do a complete video tour of U. S. Route 11 in Virginia.

I can do a large part of it in a series of day trips, while staying at home. While I am in the early planning stages, it looks like I would start at Bristol and work my way north all the way to Winchester. My early plan is to spend some time in the cities and towns along the way, sampling the food at some of the local restaurants and visiting some to the old roadside attractions that still dot the landscape.

Like I said I am still in the early planning stages and probably won't get started on it until later in August and I would hope to finish the project sometime in October.  But like all things, it will depend on the virus and the restrictions that may resurface down the road.

Looking ahead to 2021. Everything that I had planned in 2020 has been pushed back to next year.  If I attend the basketball tournament in either Dallas or Wichita, then I would like to continue on west to California. My previous plan was to get to California and spent a couple of weeks touring National Parks along with the Reagan and Nixon Presidential Libraries. Then slowly making my way back east along Interstates 70 or 80. But again it all depends on the social climate and what reopens in 2021.

I would also like to take the bus trip that I had planned with Sunshine Tours out through New Mexico, Colorado and the National Parks of Utah.  I don't know if that will happen or not, as Sunshine like most of the travel industry has been had hit and are struggling to stay in business. 

Trips to the Presidential Sites in Ohio and to Michigan along with a fall trip through upstate New York,, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are also on the radar. It is never too early to start planning, but it remains to be seen if the plans becomes a reality.

Finally, I have uploaded some new content to my YouTube Channel. I am getting better about editing and uploading new content. My desire is to get a new video uploaded about every 7-10 days.  So if you really get bored, slip on over there and take a look at it. 

For now, I hope everything is well in your world, and that you can stay healthy and active during these ever changing times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment