Monday, September 28, 2020

HANG DOWN YOUR HEAD TOM DOOLEY

 Ok, I got to admit that I didn’t just stumble on this little adventure. It did take some planning and a little bit of an effort. While I wasn’t completely successful It turned out to be an interesting little adventure.

How many of you have heard the song “Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley,” by the Kingston Trio. Well, did you know the song was based the troubled life of a man Named Tom Dula. A few years back while visiting my Mom in the Hickory, North Carolina area, I set out to learn a little more about the man and to see if I could find some of the places relating to Tom Dula.

Tom was born and raised in Wilkes County, North Carolina as a teen, joined the Confederate Army. After the war, Tom returned to Wilkes county and let’s say he became friendly with two girls that he grew up with, Anne Melton and her cousin Laura Foster. 

Now here is where things get a bit cloudy. Legend has it that Laura was pregnant, and that Tom had convinced her to slip off an elope. So, in the early morning of May 25, 1866, Laura left home and was never seen alive again. Her body was found several days later by her cousin Anne Melton, who named Tom as a suspect. Tom was captured by a posse working on the farm of Colonel James Grayson just across the state line in Tennessee.

 Following his arrest, he was held in the Old Wilkes County Jail and was represented by former Governor Zebulon Vance who had the trail moved to nearby Statesville, North Carolina. Tom Dula was convicted of the murder of Laura Foster and hanged on May 1, 1868

So, during my little adventure I wanted to see how many places that I could find. I started off in Wilkesboro where the old Jail is still standing. The jail was built in 1859 and during the Civil War held several Union Prisoners who were waiting to be transferred to a POW Camp. It was here that Tom was held while awaiting trial. From Wilkesboro,

 I made my way west on Highway 268 where I found a historic marker that is located near where Tom Is buried. I wanted to see if I could find the grave, but it is on private property and due to vandals chipping away at the tombstone the property owner has posted the property and locked the gate

But I did manage to find a copyright free photo of the grave on the internet. 

My final stop on this little adventure was about 5 miles further west on Highway 268. There in the middle of a farmer’s field, protected only by a white board fence is the grave of Laura Foster.

Not seeing any no trespassing signs and an unlocked gate, I made my way to the middle of the field where I found a simple tombstone that had the inscription “Murdered May 1865 – Tom Dula hanged for Crime.” 

A lot of the people in the area still thinks that Laura was murdered by Ann Melton.  There are some more sorted theories about the legend of Tom Dula and Laura Foster, but I'll leave it to you to research and draw your own conclusions.

It was an interesting and full day.  The next time you are listening to the radio and happen to hear "Hang

“Hang Down your Head Tom Dooley,” you will know The Rest of of the story.







No comments:

Post a Comment