Monday, June 15, 2020

THE GOOD

During the last years or so, I have gotten a number of comments and e-mails asking me to do something like a top-10 list of my favorite and least favorite places. I hesitate to do something like this as it is all subjective and strictly my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. And it always triggers some people who gets all pissed off and bombards me with rude and obscene comments.  Any way, I did something similar with my favorite places that I have eaten at over the years and I really got torched in some of the comments. I say again, this is only my opinion. You do your thing and I will do mine. But,  I have no doubt that I will get torched with this post too. Instead of doing at top 10 list I am going to do a top-5 of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in no particular order. So here goes with The Good!

1, MONUMENT VALLEY & GOULDING'S LODGE - ARIZONA: This is without a doubt one of the most spectacular places that I have ever visited.  I stayed at Goulding's Lodge, which is right in Monument Valley. The views from my room was stunning and I was treated to a couple of magnificent sunsets. The drive through Monument Valley was simply amazing. This is where John Ford filmed several movies including, "The Searchers" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon." In fact John Wayne's Cabin is still preserved as a museum at Goulding's and in the Valley you can walk out on John Ford's Point and get the same view of John Wayne's cavalry in the Movie "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."  Monument Valley is NOT a National Park but is part of the Navajo Nation and the Navajo Tribal Park. Most people who come to Arizona and Southern Utah, visit the Grand Canyon and the four National Parks in Utah. The don't give Monument Valley a second though, which is a shame. It is truly an amazing place.

2. NATION COWBOY HALL OF FAME & WESTERN HERITAGE MUSEUM - OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA.: I absolutely love this museum and keep returning time and time again when I am in Oklahoma City. The art here, including the "End of the Trail Statue" in the main lobby is awesome. The exhibit on the western star of TV and Movie's features a  large collection of artifacts in including John Wayne's Eye Patch from the Movie "True Grit." There is always something new to see here as the museum has a wide variety of temporary exhibits.  It is one of the best museums in the Country and is a must stop for me anytime I am in Oklahoma City.

3. THE MUSEUM OF THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE - DAYTON, OHIO: This museum has one of the largest collections of aircraft in the country. It may have even more aircraft's on display than the Air and Space Museum in Washington.  This museum has an entire hanger dedicated to historic Presidential Aircraft including FDR's Sacred Cow, Truman's Independence and Eisenhower's Columbine.  The Presidential Plane was not referred to as Air Force One until the Kennedy Administration. Also on display in the Presidential Hanger is SAM 26000 which was the aircraft that President Kennedy flew to Dallas on in 1963 and returned his body to Washington following the assassination. This is another place that I return to time and time again.

4. BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK - TEXAS: This is one of our country's most remote national parks. And make no mistake it take a lot of effort to get here. The closest hotels to the park are in Marathon or Alpine, Texas. If you choose to stay in one of these small towns you need to make you reservations early, especially in the early spring, fall and winter.Also if you stay in Alpine you are still about 80-miles to the park entrance so plan accordingly. Once you make the effort you won't be disappointed as I was amazed at the rugged beauty at every turn. St. Elena Canyon, which was carved by the Rio Grand is an amazing place. The river here no more than 10 to 20 yards wide in the dry season so you are just a few yards from Old Mexico.  While I didn't do it many visitors hire the locals to take them across the river into the very small community of Boquillas, which sits just on the other side of the river. The town is driven by tourists and the few building feature the locals selling their wares and there are a couple of restaurants.  Since you are leaving the county you will need a passport and since I didn't have one I only looked across the river.  I spent two  full days in the National Park, driving back and forth from Alpine Each day.  I only saw a small portion of the park and when I return I will allow between 5 and 7 days for my visit.

5. ANNA MARIA ISLAND, FLORIDA: Let me say right up front that I absolutely love this place. Anna Maria Island is a small island, located on the Florida's Gulf Coast just west of Bradenton. I had the opportunity to stay at a corporate vacation lodge that was right on the gulf and the sunsets here were amazing. It's a relatively small island and morning walks on the beach could  take as little as 30-minutes or all morning. A couple of times I walked almost all the way the island which was a total of about 7-miles.  Another thing that I really like about the Island is that it is really not commercialized. There are no chain restaurants or businesses on the island. And it is small enough that you can walk to just about anything you need including several outstanding little restaurants and cafes.  I spent several weeks here on the island and it was always difficult to leave. It was so relaxing to just walk out and sit on the beach and read a book or watch the reach goer's. Of all the places that I have vacationed Anna Maria Island is without a doubt my favorite.







No comments:

Post a Comment