Monday, October 3, 2022

DAY #1 - HOME - DICKSON, TENNESSEE - MR. GUITAR, THE QUEEN OF DISCO AND ONE OF BRISCOE'S BOYS - 456-MILES

DAY #1 - JUNE 10, 2021 (DICKSON, TENNESSEE) - Well, right on schedule, I pulled out of my garage this morning and with coffee in hand, I headed south on Interstate 81. About an hour an a half later I said good bye to Virginia and crossed the state line into Tennessee. I planned on making a quick stop at the Tennessee Welcome Center. Tennessee has some of the nicest and cleanest rest areas in the country and this one is no different. Today, I got a little extra treat. There were several bluegrass musician in the lobby, treating visitors to an impromptu jam session. There were really quiet good and my quick stop turned into 45-minutes of listening to wonderful bluegrass. I must say Tennessee sure knows how of welcome you to their state. After my 45-minute bluegrass break it was time to hit the road and make some mile. Today, was all about miles and I really didn't have any stops planned. My hotel for the night was in Dickson, Tennessee and I was still about 300-miles away. The cities of Knoxville and Nashville are known for their stop and go traffic so I allowed plenty of time in case I hit traffic. Surprisingly, traffic was not a problem and I zipped through both Knoxville and Nashville and when I put Music City in my rear view mirror it was still too early to check into my hotel. So I made a quick detour to the Harpeth Hills Memory Gardens. One of the most notable people resting here is the man called "Mr. Guitar," The Great Chet Atkins. Chet was not only one of the best guitar players I ever heard, he was also songwriter, and record producer who, produced record for such stars as Hank Snow, Porter Wagoner, Dolly Parton, Elvis Presley, and Waylon Jennings just to name a few. Chet received numerous awards, including 14 Grammy awards and was names the Country Music Association Instrumentalist of the Year nine times. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1973. Just a few steps away from where Chet is resting is the future burial site of Country Music DJ and Television Personality Ralph Emery. Although Ralph is very much alive and well, when his time comes he will be laid to rest just a few feet from his friend Chet Atkins. Resting in one of the Private Estates in the back of the cemetery, is the grave of Donna Summer Sudano. Donna was nicknamed the "Queen of Disco," she was a major figure of the genre's popularity as her songs echoed throughout nightclubs during the mid 1970s to early 1980s earning her multiple Grammy Awards and nominations. She died at the age of 63 from the complications of Lung Cancer. Just across the road from Donna Summer's Private Estate was the grave of Doug Dillard. He along with his brother Rodney formed a bluegrass band named "The Dillard's." Dick Linke who was Andy Griffith's manager arranged for Doug and Rodney to audition for the part of a backwoods family with Denver Pyle playing the Role of Briscoe Darling. Briscoe and his daughter Charlene with Doug and Rodney playing his "boys" went on to appear in some of the most popular episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. Doug was the Banjo Playing Darling and he and Rodney continue to perform long after the Andy Griffith Show ended and were very popular when they would appear at Mayberry Days in Mount Airy, North Carolina. He died of a lung infection at the age of 75. My final stop of the day was at the graves of Charlie and Ira Louvin. The Louvin Brothers were regular performers on the Grand Ole Opry, After Ira was killed in a car crash in 1965, Charlie continued to perform almost every Saturday Night on the Opry. Charlie died from the complication of cancer in 2011. He was 83 years old. After spending more than an hour and a half at Harpeth Hills it was time make the 15-miles drive over to the Comfort Inn in Dickson, Tennessee. Time to put this ole boy to bed. Tomorrow The adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment