Monday, October 3, 2022

DAY #6 - JUNE 15, 2021 - AUSTIN, MINNESOTA TO SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA - HO HO HO GREEN GIANT & SPAM - 259-MILES (18630

(SIOUX FALLS, SD) Well, today wasn’t supposed to be that eventful, Nice easy 200+ mile day with only a few quick stops. But thing didn’t go according to plan. First of all, I got a late start, didn’t check out of the Hotel until almost 9:30. I spent the night in Austin, Minnesota and Austin is known for one thing, it is the home of the Hormel Meat Company and SPAM. When I found out there was a SPAM Museum in downtown Austin, I just had to check it out. I remember Jerry Clower saying one time that Sardines and SPAM on a cracker were classified as Hors d’oeuves in the South. Surprisingly, it was an interesting place highlighting not only the history of SPAM but also the history of the Hormel Family. From Austin it was time to head west on I-90 to Blue Earth Minnesota where I made a quick stop at the Green Giant Statue. It was here that Homer Left me for a new Home with the Brinkley Family. I didn’t have anything else plan as I headed toward my over night lodging in South Dakota. Planned on calling it an early day to get caught up on organizing all the photos and Video and just reorganizing in general. I was making good time when suddenly along came one of those Brown Signs and off I went. I made my way to the Pipestone National Monument. I had never heard of this place, and I was curious about it. The Nation Monument was created in 1937 and is about 30-miles north of Interstate 90 in western Minnesota. Come to find out the site was a Native American Quarry. Pipestone was and still is used by Native American to make ceremonial pipes that were used to pay homage to “Man Above” and other religious and ceremonial occasions. I ended up walking a couple of the hiking trail getting in about 3-miles. So, I learned something and got my steps in too. From Pipestone it was back to I-90 and a few minutes later I entered another state that I have never Been too – South Dakota. Tomorrow the Adventure Continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment