Thursday, June 22, 2023

MY TOP 5 NATIONAL PARKS

 

Over the year I have been asked several time to compile a list of my favorite and least favorite places that I have visited over my years of traveling about this beautiful country of ours. This is a really had question to answer because it is so broad and America Has so much to offer. So, I have decided to Break it down into my top 5 in each of the different categories. Keep in mind, I have never traveled outside of the United States and really have no desire to. These various lists are from my travels in the United States and are my opinion alone. I am going to start with a list to the top 5 National Parks that I have personally visited.

 TOP 5 NATIONAL PARKS

1.       BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK – This is one of our most remote and least visited of our National Park. For that reason, it takes a bit of effort to get here. I stayed in Alpine, Texas and drove 75-miles back and forth each day. But I can assure you that once you get to Big Bend, you will be rewarded for your effort. it is less crowded. But the remote rugged beauty of Big Bend is amazing. I visited Big Bend in March of 2018 and during my two-day visit I saw very few people. The heat can be brutal especially in the summertime when temperatures soar to triple digits and remain there for weeks at a time. During my visit in March temperatures were in the high 90’s and peaked at 104 on my second day in the park.  The scenery is amazing, and I loved the fact that I could explore the huge park at my own pace and not encounter other tourists. 

2.       THEORDORE ROOSEVELT NATIONAL PARK – NORTH UNIT – The Theodore Roosevelt is divided into two units, a North Unit, and a South Unit. They are separated by about 50-miles.  Like Big Bend, The North Unit takes a little effort as it is also remote.  I stayed In Dickinson, North Dakota, which resulted in about 70-mile drive to the entrance of the North Unit.  Like Big Bend, I often found myself alone and could explore the park at my leisure.  Again, the rugged beauty is amazing. Another thing that I liked about this park is the abundance of wildlife that is inhabiting the park. During my visit I saw several herds of buffalo that roam freely throughout the park. In addition, I saw some wolves, foxes and 3-three rattle snakes on or near the trails.

 

3.       THEODORE ROOSEVELT NATIONAL PARK – SOUTH UNIT – The south unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park is easily accessible from Interstate 90 and it much more crowded than the North Unit.  I spent an entire day in both the north and south units. The south unit in its own unique way is every bit as amazing as the North Unit.  There are also several very large herds of buffalo in the south unit, and they roam freely which resulted in several buffalo jams as made by way through the park.  While I largely had the North Unity to myself, the south unit was much more crowded and several of the pullouts and overlooks were full. 

4.       GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK – Most people would probably have the Grand Canyon listed as #1 and I would tend to agree. I have visited the Grand Canyon several times over the years, and it is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. The scenic drive from the Grand Canyon Village to the Desert View Watch Tower is simply amazing. However, this is one of our most popular and most visited national parks. For that reason, every time I have visited it has been crowded and some of the most popular overlooks and pullouts were either very crowded or full, making it a little difficult to enjoy the views and the park in general.

 


5.       GREAT SMOKEY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK – This is the closest National Park to my home and one that I have visited more often than any other.  Great Smokey Mountain is also our most visited National Park making it very, very crowded. Traffic in the park is almost always heavy and slow moving. While the views and beauty of the park, especially in Cades Cove, is amazing, it can be a little frustrating as you visit the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment