Sunday, August 6, 2023

2023 CANYONLANDS ADVENTURE - HITTING THE ROAD

 

DAY #1 - JULY 2, 2023 – HOME TO HORN LAKE, MISSISSIPPI

617 – MILES / 617 – TOTAL MILES


Today is the day that I depart on my 2023 Great Canyonlands Adventure. I am up and about a little before 5 a.m. and out the door right on schedule at 5:30 a.m. I am scheduled to me my Sunshine Tour Bus at 6 a.m. but the information they sent said that I should arrive at the pickup site 15-minutes early.

 The bus arrived just a couple of minutes late at 6:05 a.m. In addition to myself there were only two other couples boarding here in Christiansburg.  One couple was Glenn and Sarah Cochran, who are friends of my friends, Pete, and Valerie Ramey. Glenn is one of the local State Farm Insurance Agents here in Christiansburg and I have met him a few time around town and at the Rec. Center.

 I boarded the bus and was happy to find that there were several vacant seats in the back of the bus. On trips longer than 5 days, Sunshine implements a system where passengers rotate seats every day so that travelers can get views from different sides of the bus.  I don’t like to rotate seats and have found that if you sit at the back of the bus the other passengers don’t force you to move and have no problem avoiding the bathroom. I’m hoping that will be the case on this trip.

 I find a seat about 5-rows from the back and store my carry-on bag in the seat next to me. It took the driver to less than 10 minutes to load out luggage and I am off on what promises to be a grand adventure.

 At 6:30 a.m. we pick up several more passengers at the Sunshine Tour Office in Dublin and at 7:10 a.m. we pick up our final group at the Fairfield Inn in Wytheville. The final count for this 15-day journey is 39, not counting our bus driver John and our Tour Guide Michelle.

 Shortly, after departing Wytheville, Michelle formally introduces herself and John, and welcomes us on board.  She gives us a brief description on what the rest of the day will be like. Basically, today is all about miles.

 As we leave Virginia and enter the Volunteer State of Tennessee, we make our first rest stop at the Tennessee Welcome Center in Bristol. Here at the welcome center, we are treated to sausage or Ham biscuits, donuts, and coffee. This is where we all got to mingle and get acquainted with some of our fellow passengers.

 From Bristol we pass the New Buc-ee’s that just opened a few day earlier at Sevierville, Exit 407. Evidently, the newness hasn’t worn off, because traffic is backed up on the ramp and across the bridge waiting to get into the parking lot.  

 We soon streaked through downtown Knoxville and start up the east side of the Cumberland Plateau. At the top of the plateau, we pass another Buc-ee’s at Cookeville.  Some in our group wanted to stop, but our Driver John shut that idea down. Evidently from past experiences, John knew that a 30-minute stop would probably turn into more than an hour.

 Today’s schedule is tight, and we keep pushing on toward our only scheduled stop of the day, which is a lunch stop in downtown Nashville.

 As we climbed the Cumberland Plateau west of Knoxville, we entered the Central Time Zone and shortly after 1 p.m. (2 p.m. Eastern Time) John pulled the bus up in front of the Ryman Auditorium and let us off for a two hour stop for lunch and a little sightseeing.

Having been to Nashville Several times before, I decided to pass on the traditional restaurants and Honky Tonks that Line Broadway and chose to have a quick lunch at one of the many food trucks that you can find parked just off Broadway.

 After a quick shrimp Po’boy from a Cajun Food Truck. The sandwich and drink set me back $14 but it was worth it. And the sandwich was really good.

  With a little more than an hour and a half left before I had to be back on the Bus, I set about exploring Broadway and Music City.  I stopped and took several photos of the statue that stand outside Ryman Auditorium.  Since I was her last back in 2021, a statue of Charlie Pride has been added to the statues of Loretta Lynn, Bill Monroe, and Jimmy Dickens.

 While those statues are great, I have always found it strange that there is not a statue of Roy Acuff and Minnie Pearl in the area around Ryman. It is just strange to me that two of the longest and most popular stars of the Grand Ole Opry have been ignored.

 While everyone else spent most of their time in restaurants, I spent most of my time walking around and enjoying the sights and sounds of Music City. But at 3 p.m.  It was time for us to re-board the bus and head toward our first night’s lodging near Memphis.

 About halfway between Nashville and Memphis we made a bathroom/Rest stop at the Love’s Travel Center near Jackson, Tennessee. Then it was back on the Road for the final leg of our first days Journey.

 It was a little before 7 p.m. when we arrived at the Drury Inn & Suites in Horn Lake, Mississippi which is just a couple miles south of Memphis. I have stayed at Drury a couple of times in the past and they are known for something they call their evening Kickback with features a rotating Menu of entrees, and sides along with hot dogs with all the trimmings.  The kickback is free for hotel guests. The kickback food was very good and hit the spot.

 The end of Day #1 was a long one. I got acquainted with several of my fellow travelers, especially the Back of the Bus Bunch who had the same Idea at me. None of us wanted to rotate and seemed to have developed an early bond.  We covered a total of 617-miles today and tomorrow promises to be another 500-mile day. This adventure is just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment