Wednesday, August 9, 2023

2023 CANYONLANDS ADVENTURE - MOVING ACROSS ARKANSAS & INTO OKLAHOMA

DAY #2 – MONDAY - JULY 3, 2023

 HORN LAKE, MS – OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

409 MILES - 1,026 TOTAL MILES

Day #2 of my Canyonlands Adventure got off to another early start. I was up at 6 a.m. and had to have my bag outside my door at 6:30 a.m. so it could be loaded back on the bus. I joined the rest of my traveling companions for Breakfast at the Drury Inn & Suites.  Like supper last night, breakfast was a cut above the normal Hotel meal. The food was hot and very filling. I also got to know a few more of my traveling companions. Most seem very nice and friendly.

After a nice Breakfast we departed our hotel right on time at 7:30 a.m. About 20 minutes later we crossed the Mighty Mississippi on the Hernando DeSoto Bridge. This is the same bridge that was closed a year or so ago due to Structural Fatigue. The Traffic Jams were massive on the only alternative which was I think the I-55 Bridge several miles away. I am glad it has reopened but I must say I held my breath a little bit.

But we made it across safely and cruised past the Crime ridden city of West Memphis, Arkansas.  In all of my years of traveling, I have been that you are taking your life in your own hands if you stop in East St. Louis, Illinois or West Memphis, Arkansas.

About two hours later we arrived in Little Rock, Arkansas where we made a quick 25-minute photo stop at the Arkansas State Capitol. After snapping a few quick photos, I hustled up to the capitol building and made my way through security. I snapped a few photos of the interior dome. Before leaving, I stopped by the information desk and got my State Capitol Passport Stamp.

I made it back to the bus in plenty of time and even managed to snap a few more photos before reboarding. This was a quick stop and was the only scheduled stop of the day. On the way into Little Rock, we passed by the Bill Clinton Presidential Library and Museum.  Some of my companions commented that they wished we had time for a stop there rather than at the Capitol.

I have been to the Clinton Library and Museum a couple of times and while it was ok, it was not one of my favorite Presidential sites. It is rather bland, and the layout is kind of boring.

After departing the Capitol, we made our way back across the Arkansas River and continued our trip west on Interstate 40.  About an hour and 15 minutes later we stopped at Colton’s Steak House in Russellville, Arkansas for lunch.

A lot of times when a tour bus full of passengers drops in unexpectedly on a restaurant, they are caught off guard and unprepared. Michelle, our tour guide, had called them when we left Little Rock and when we arrived, our party was quickly seated, and our servers set about taking out orders.

The food was well prepared and very good, and the service was top notch. But even so this was a long 2-hour lunch stop and it was about 1:45 p.m. when we headed back to Interstate 40.

At 4:00 p.m. we made our afternoon Rest Stop at the Pilot/Flying J in Checotah, Oklahoma. This was a surprisingly quick stop as everyone was back on the bus and ready to go in less than 20 minutes.

After our Rest Stop, it was clear sailing to the Fairfield Inn & Suites on Plaza Terrace in Oklahoma City.  Once we arrived and were settled in our rooms it was time for supper. The choices for our meal were limited to an IHOP, a local restaurant called the “First Bite Café,” and a Jimmy John’s sub. I opted for Jimmy Johns and from the comments of my fellow travelers that was the smart choice. 

Of those who ate at the IHOP and the First Bite, no one had anything good to say about the experience. They said both places had horrible food and horrible service.

Tomorrow will be another long day as we travel from Oklahoma City to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We do have a couple of scheduled stops which I hope will break up the long ride across Oklahoma, the Panhandle of Texas, and into New Mexico.


No comments:

Post a Comment