Sunday, March 17, 2013

SELECTION SUNDAY MEANS INDIANAPOLIS

It's Selection Sunday and what better place to spend it than in Indianapolis, the city where the NCAA is headquartered. Later today I would find out who the 8-teams that will be joining me later this week in Kansas City. But first I am going to piddle around Indiana's Capitol City.

When I got up this morning I was greeted by a biting cold made even worse by a chilling west wind, and in the period of about 40 minutes saw rain, sleet and a few snow flurries. But I decided to brave the cold, yes I packed winter clothes, and head out to explore the sites of Indianapolis.

Not trip to Indianapolis would be complete without a quick visit to one of the most storied sports venues in the nation, historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. When it was built in 1928, it was known as Butler Field House, but was later change to honor long time Bulldog Coach Tony Hinkle.

HINKLE FIELDHOUSE
Hinkle Fieldhouse hosted the annual Indiana State High School Championships and was the site of the Milan Miracle which featured the memorable 1954 victory of Milan High School over the much larger Muncie Central.  The popular movie "Hoosiers" is based on the events leading up to this game.

Today, Hinkle remains the home of the Butler Bulldogs, and is one of the greatest home courts in all of College Basketball.



One thing about the GPS is that it prioritizes my destinations by distance so I don't have to backtrack and eat the same miles twice. So after leaving Butler University it was just a short distance down to Crown Hill Cemetery.

Crown Hill is a very large (555-acre) Cemetery that is extremely difficult to navigate even with a map.  There is method to the sections numbering system,  Section 76 maybe adjacent to Section 35 and 17, Or Section 44 may be between sections 31 and 12. So finding specific graves even with a map and section number is time consuming and difficult.
Benjamin Harrison

The easiest grave to find was that of Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the United States and grandson of President William Henry Harrison. Harrison was born in North Bend Ohio and Moved to Indianapolis at the Age of 21.  His home located in Downtown Indianapolis is on my to-do list for today.  After his presidency, Harrison remained quite active up until his death.  He died from pneumonia at this home on March 13, 1901. He and members of his family are buried here.

From the Harrison Grave I made my way across the cemetery to the grave site of gangster John Dillinger whose family lived in Indianapolis.  Dillinger was one of the most notorious gangsters of the 1930's and was one of the F.B.I.'s most wanted outlaws. Dillinger met his end in 1934 when he attended a motion picture at the Biograph Theater in Chicago.  Dillinger was accompanied by Anna Cumpanas who providing the F.B.I. with information and agreed to set Dillinger up at the Movie Theater.

John Dillinger
As Dillinger and Cumpanas (who was wearing a red dress) exited the theater, F.B.I. Agents lead by Melvin Purvis approach Dillinger. Ignoring the order to surrender, Dillinger attempted to shoot it out. On  June 22, 1934, one of the nations most wanted outlaws was pronounced dead at Alexian Brothers Hospital.  His body was place on display before finally being buried next to his parents here in Crown Hill Cemetery.  His Grave marker has been replace a number of times because souvenir hunters have chipped away at the stone.

There are two Vice-Presidents resting here, Charles Fairbanks, who served with Theodore Roosevelt from 1905-1905, and Thomas R. Marshall who served as Herbert Hoovers Vice-President from 1913 - 1921.

Because it was so hard to locate the graves of several other notable people and after spending more than two-hours driving around this large cemetery, I decided to pull the plug on my search and head  downtown.

Soldiers & Sailors Monument
One again the parking gods smiled on me and I found a parking place right near the Soldier and Sailors monument.  Located in the center of downtown, the Soldiers and Sailors is perhaps the most recognized structure in the downtown area. The Monument stands 284-feet tall, only 21-feet shorter than the Statue of Liberty. Visitors can either pay $2.00 and ride an elevator to the top of the monument or climb the 330-steps for free. Well, you know I chose to pay the $2.00 and rode the elevator to the top,where I enjoyed a commanding view downtown Indianapolis.

From the Soldiers and Sailors Monument it was just a short walk down Market Street to the Indiana Statehouse.  It was still cold and windy but I braved the weather and made by way form the Indiana Capitol down Capitol Street to Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts. From Lucas Oil Stadium it is just a short walk over to Banker's Life Fieldhouse, which is the home of the Indiana Pacers. By this time the cold is getting too me and I head back to the car.

Lucas Oil Stadium
One final stop of the day was just a short hop over to the NCAA Headquaters near the IUPUI Campus. I just wanted to be close in case the Selection Committee needed any last Minute Advice.

Speaking of the Selection Committee, I made it back to the motel just in time to see the announcement of the 68-teams. And I must say that I am pretty happy with the team that will be joining me in Kansas City. Although I am a little disappointed the that I will be driving halfway across the country and Have to put up with the Tarheel Fans. Other than That, I have thrilled that Western Kentucky will be there. Bob Boydton's son David is one of the assistant coaches for the Hilltoppers and they will draw the Kansas Jayhawks in the first round.  Needless to say I will be finding me some Hilltopper gear. Also I get the Villanova Wildcats and former Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault.  Again needs to say I will be pulling for Tony and the Wildcat as they take on North Carolina.  I also get the Ole Miss Rebels and their high strung, guard Marshall Henderson. This guy is nuttier than a squirrel turd.

It is going to be an interesting tournament, but I have to get there first. Tomorrow I bid Indianapolis  farewell and head off to the Land of Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment