Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A PRESIDENT & ANTIQUES

My next to the last day on the road starts in Iowa City, the home of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes.  The Carver-Hawkeye Arena is just down the street from my motel and I make the short trip down for some quick photos before heading west to West Branch.

Just 10-miles east of Iowa City is the small town of West Branch, Iowa. It was here that our 31st President, Herbert Clark Hoover was born on August 10, 1874. Upon arriving I discovered that the Museum was in the process of changing out the temporary exhibits and the only gallery that was open was the Hoover Gallery.  This gallery details the life of President Hoover from the time that he was born here, through the his aide and relief work in Europe and Belgium during World War I and his tenure as Secretary of Commerce. Hoover was President during the great stock market crash of 1929 which lead to his defeat during his re-election bid in 1932.  Following his re-election defeat in President Hoover retired to a suite at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York where he lived for the rest of his life.

President Hoover died in his Waldorf-Astoria Suite on October 20, 1964, some 31-years, 7-months and 16-days after leaving office.  Hoover was honored with a state funeral, the last of three such funerals in a span of 12-months. The death of President Hoover came less than a year after the death of President Kennedy and General Douglas MacArthur. All three state funeral were orchestrated by Major General Philip Wehle and the riderless horse was Black Jack who also served in that role during the state funeral of President Lyndon Johnson.

Following the state funeral in Washington, the body of President Hoover was returned to the tiny community of West Branch where he was buried next to his wife Lou Henry Hoover who had died in 1944.

After spending about 2-hours in West Branch it was time to head east toward the Mississippi River.  But before crossing the River I wanted to make one final stop in the Mississippi River Town of Le Claire, Iowa. 

Le Claire is the home to Antique Archeology the setting for the American Picker's TV show that features Mike Wolfe, and Frank Fritz.  The two rusty gold pickers are assisted by Danielle Colby-Cushman. So being a fan of the show I decided to stop by the Antique Archeology shop on the outside chance that any of the stars of the show were on site.

Looking around the cluttered shop I recognized a number of item that I saw them pick on the shows including the Laurel and Hardy heads and the Eastside Cycle Club sign that was actually picked in Virginia.

My gamble didn't pay off as neither Mike, Frank or Danielle was there. The people working in the shop told me and a couple of other visitors that the three wouldn't be back in the shop until after the first of April and that shooting new shows would begin some time this spring.

After snapping a few photos, It was time to hit the road and get some miles behind me. My nights lodging was in Indianapolis and I was still more than four and a half hours away.

There a was not much to see in central Illinois as I made my way east on I-74. I will say that Illinois must be leading the nation in wind energy. As I traveled along I-74 I past no less than four large wind farms. The tall giant wind turbines off on both sides of the interstate, spinning in the wind, and generating electric power.

As I crossed from Illinois into Indiana I also moved from the Central Time Zone back to the Eastern Time Zone.  About an hour and a half later I arrived back at the Comfort Inn - Pyramids north of Downtown Indianapolis. This is my second visit to this Comfort Inn as I stayed here for two night last week on the way to Kansas City.

Tonight will be my last night on the road, as tomorrow I will make the final 480 mile push home.  When all is said and done I will have put more than 2,600 miles on my little Honda, but more importantly had a great vacation.






No comments:

Post a Comment