SATURDAY - JULY 4, 2026: Well, Today didn't go as planned. I spent the night at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Hawthorne, New York. I decided to stay here because had planned on driving over to a nearby train station and takin the Metro North to the Northern Part of Manhattan and walking over to visit Grant’s Tomb on Riverside Avenue. I got up a little early and went to purchase my train ticket. But went I started to enter my information an alert came up that the station that I needed to get off a was closed “due to police activity.”
So, I walked down and had breakfast and came back to my room
and once again tried to purchase a ticket. But once again I was met with an alert,
only this time it was “service interruption,” which I think means that the
train I needed is not running at all.
I still had plenty of time before I had to check out of the
Hotel, so I set about replanning my day. This Hotel is only about two miles from
two really large cemeteries that have a lot of notable people buried in them.
So, this is going to turn into a cemetery day.
After checking out of the Holiday Inn I drove around to the
Gate of Heaven Cemetery. This is a very large Catholic Cemetery. When I large
cemetery, I mean more than 250 acres large and has more than 200,000 graves. Because it is so large, I logged on to Find-A-Grave
and used the coordinates listed for individual graves.
James Cagney is regarded as one of the finest actors that ever
to appeared camera. He is best remembered for such films as “Public Enemy,” “Angels
with Dirty Faces,” “The Roaring Twenties,” and “Taxi.” He won an Academy Award
for his role of George M. Cohan in the 1942 Musical “Yankee Doodle Dandy.”
He was 86 years old when he passed away from a heart attack
on March 30, 1986.
First I stopped and visited the grave of long time National
League Umpire John McSherry. During his
25 years as a National League Umpire, John worked Two World Series, Two
National League Division Series and eight National League Championship Series.
Big John as he known around the league was very popular with
the Players, Managers and fans. On April 1, 1996, John was scheduled to work
the plate for the Opening Day Game between The Cincinnati Reds and Montreal
Expos at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati.
Seven pitches into the game, John Called time and started to
walk toward the tunnel that leads to the Umpires Dressing Room behind home
plate. John collapsed and was immediately tended to by trainers and medical staff.
He was taken from the field and transported to the hospital
where he was pronounced dead on arrival. John McSherry was 51 years old.
Next up I visited the grave of the man who gave up one of
the most famous homeruns in Major League Baseball History. Back in 1951 the New
York Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers ended the regular season in a tie. The
National League order a three-game playoff to decide the National League
Champions.
Today, here at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, I paid my respects to
Ralph Branca, the man who gave up that three-run homer that has come to be known
as “The Shot Heard around the World.”
Just around the corner from Ralph Branca are the graves of
two of the great New York Yankees. First,
I stopped at the grave of Yankee Player and Manager, Billy Martin.
But his is best known for being the Manager of the Yankees
on 5 separate occasions. Some people joked that the only reason George
Steinbrenner hired him was so he could fire him. Billy’s fiery temper that he
showed as a player followed him as a manager. Not only did he have some well
documented dust up with Yankee Owner George Steinbrenner, but he and Yankee
Star Reggie Jackson came close to coming to blows in the the Yankee Dugout and
had to be separated.
Billy was still a special consultant to Steinbrenner when he
was killed vehicle crash on Christmas Day in 1989. Some say that Steinbrenner
was prepared to name Billy as the Yankee Manager for the 6th time
before the team reported to spring training in 1990.
Babe Ruth passed away on August 16, 1948, from the
complications of Cancer.
Danny Kaye starred in 23 films, including Wonder Man in
1945, The Kid from Brookly in 1946 and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. But he is perhaps best remembered for co-starring
with Bing Crosby in the 1954 Holiday Hit, White Christmas.
From the Danny Kaye Memorial Bench, I made my way to the
gave of the man baseball fans know as “The Iron Horse,” Yankee Great Lou
Gehrig.
1934. He had a career 340 batting average, 2,721 hits and 1,995 runs batted in. He played in 2,130 consecutive games. A Major League Record that stood until broke the record by playing in 2,632 games.
Lou Gehrig died on June 2, 1941 from the complications of Amyotrophic
Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) which is commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
My final stop of the day was at the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
in Sleepy Hollow, New York. This area was the setting for Washington Irving’s Story,
“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” featuring The Headless Horseman and Ichabod
Crane.
Washington Irving is buried in this cemetery along with a
number of other notable people. But due to it being the 4th of July,
I couldn’t get to his grave because of a private function that was being
conducted by the historical society.
So, I spent the next hour or so driving around the cemetery
admiring some of the elaborate private Mausoleums. It is hard to believe that
some of the private mausoleums are more than 10 time more expensive that the
Average American Home.
The Helmsley’s were successful real estates executives and
hotel operators. Leona was often referred to as “The Queen of Mean,” for the
way she treated employee, family and friends. One former employee said
following her death, “there won’t be many mourners at her funeral. Nobody liked
her and nobody is sorry she is gone.”
Finishing up at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery it was time to make
the 35-mile drive up to the Comfort Suites just off of Interstate 84 in
Fishkill, New York.
I cashed in some Choice Hotel Point for a free night stay.
After a good supper at the 84 Diner, I settled into my room for the night. But
about 10:30 p.m. my phone started going off with severe weather alerts. Severe
storms with 80 mph winds and baseball size hail were approaching the Fishkill
Area.
After looking at the weather radar, I decided to hustle down
and move my car under the hotel’s entrance awning. Just before the storm hit a couple of other
people had the same idea.
This turned out to be a good move. Five minutes later the
storm hit and it was a humdinger. I have never been in a storm this bad. The
wind blew over two trees across the road from the hotel and the area was
peppered with grapefruit size hail for about 10-minutes. Most of the car
windows were busted and the vehicle bodies were pretty much destroyed. The next
morning most of the hotel guests were accessing the damage and on the phone
with their insurance.
I am so thankful that
I was able to get my car under cover and avoided damage. The hotel clerk told us that we could leave
out cars under the cover for the rest of the night, Which we gladly did. Even
though no more storms passed through, that kind gesture allows me to get a
fairly good night’s sleep.
For the last several day temperatures have been in the High
90’s and into the 100’s, but with the passing storms, the temperature has now
dropped back into the lower 70’s. Tomorrow promises to be a much cooler day.
No comments:
Post a Comment