MONDAY – JULY 6, 2026: I spent the night at the
Holiday Inn Express in East Greenbush, New York. This hotel sits up on a hill
and afforded me a nice view of the Albany Skyline. I really liked this hotel,
as it was off the road and was very quiet. It was exceptionally clean and the
employees were very helpful. Plus, it’s always a good stay when the Pancake
Roller is working.
I don’t have a lot planned today other than to make some
miles and travel almost al the way across Massachusetts into New Hampshire
which will set me up for the next few day.
I was lazy this morning and slept in. I think the last few
days of 100+ degree temperatures took its toll and I was a little lazy this morning.
I didn’t get out of bed until a little after 8:30 a.m. After breakfast, I
finally checked out and hit the road at 9:30 a.m.
I headed east on Interstate 90 which is a toll road here in
New York and for some stretches in Massachusetts. A few years back I got an EZ Pass,
and I reloaded it before I left so I do get a little bit of a discount.
About 30 minutes into my trip I stopped at the Love’s Travel
Stop in Canaan, New York. I have the Loves app on my phone and usually get a10
cent per gallon discount when I scan the QR Code at the pump. This time when I
scanned the code at the pump, I got 20 cents off which was a nice surprise,
especially with these high prices here in the Northeast.
Senior Admission to the Hall of Fame is $25. If I was still
young admission would have been $34. I
have been to all of the major sports Hall of Fames, (Baseball, Football and
Basketball) and of the three the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame is my least
favorite.
To me there is very little that is special about this Hall
of Fame. At the Baseball Hall of Fame you have all the memorabilia and the Hall
of Fame Plaques that makes it really special. The same with the NFL Hall of
Fame. It has an abundance of Memorabilia and the Hall of Fame Busts.
Here, there is nothing really that special. The memorabilia
that is on display is mostly ceremonial basketball, some game worn uniforms and
a lot of sneakers. There is nothing special about the Hall of Honor or whatever
it’s called. There are no plaques or busts honoring those who have been
inducted. It is only a list of names on a glass wall. Really very plain.
After visiting the hall of fame and having lunch, I made my
way back to Interstate 90 and headed east across the northern part of
Massachusetts. This was really a pretty boring drive, nothing to see or do
along the way. So, I just clicked off the miles.
Just east of Worcester, Massachusetts I left Interstate 90
and headed north on Interstate 495 and traveled up to Interstate 93 which took
me into the State of New Hampshire.
A few miles in to New Hampshire I left the interstate and
traveled to the Forest Hills Cemetery in East Derry, New Hampshire. I wanted to
come here and visit the grave of Alan B. Shepard, the first American to fly
into space.
Just for the Record, Yuri Gagarin, a Soviet cosmonaut,
became the first person in space on April 12, 1961.
Alan Shepard made his second space flight as commander of
Apollo 14 from January 31 to February 9, 1971. It was America's third
successful lunar landing mission. He became the fifth and, at the age
of 47, the oldest man to walk on the Moon, and the only one of the Mercury
Seven astronauts to walk on the surface of the moon.
While I was in this cemetery, I discovered that there was
another notable person resting here. So, I made my way down to the far end of
the cemetery and found the grave of murder victim Gregory Smart.
Greg Smart married Pamela Smart in 1989 and the couple lived
here in Derry, New Hampshire. Gregg was 24-year-old insurance agent, and Pam
was the director of media services at Winnacunnet High School in nearby Hampton,
New Hampshire.
It was at the high school that Pam met and seduced a15-year
old student named Billy Flynn. In order to sustain the relationship and not
lose possession of her dog, furniture, and condo in a divorce, Pam conspired
with Flynn to murder her husband.
On May 1, 1990, six days before the couple's first wedding
anniversary, Billy Flynn used a handgun to kill Gregg Smart execution style as
Gregg entered the condominium.
What followed was a sensational murder trial. It was one of the first murder trials that I followed closely on the old Court TV Channel.
Pam Smart was convicted of murder-conspiracy and accomplice
to murder. She was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. The
case received international media coverage and inspired the made for TV movie
"Murder in New Hampshire."
Billy Flynn pled guilty to Second Degree Murder and was
sentenced to 28 years to life in Prison. In 2015 at the age of 41, Flynn was
granted parole and was released from Prison. Today, he is more or less living a
quiet life in Maine with his wife Kelly, whom he married while incarcerated.
After finishing my visit to Forest Hills Cemetery I made my
way back to the interstate and headed toward the Holiday Inn Express in Manchester,
New Hampshire.
Before checking into the Holiday Inn Express, I stopped at a
nearby Olive Garden for supper. Then it was off to my room to finalize my plans
for the next couple of days.

No comments:
Post a Comment