Saturday, August 1, 2026

2026 GREAT AMERICA 250 ADVENTURE - WHEN YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD, TAKE IT.

 

For the second year in a row, I find myself traveling over the 4th of July Weekend.  I usually avoid travel on any of the Major Holiday weekend, but for the second year in a row some real life issues have force me to travel over the 4th of July. 

I actually left home on Thursday, July 2, 2026 and made the 400 mile drive to my Hotel in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.  The only real stop I had scheduled for today was at Buc-ee's in Mount Crawford, Virginia, where I had lunch an picked up a few snacks for the next couple of days. 

FRIDAY - JULY 3, 2026 - Well, my Great America250 Adventure got into full swing today. Although it actually began yesterday, I didn’t have anything major planned except miles. I spent the night in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. My hotel was only about a mile from the Wind Creek Casino. So, I decided to head over and try my luck. I was here several years ago with my friend Pete and Valerie Ramey, so I had players card. When I arrived, I renewed my Players card which got me free admission to the Steelworks Buffet and Grill. Nothing like a free supper. So, I was already a winner. That was the only thing I won. No luck at the slot machines.

This morning I made the hour and 15 minute drive down to The Princeton Cemetery in Princeton, New Jersey.  What better way to begin my America250 Adventure than a visit to a cemetery that is older than our country. It was founded in 1757. That’s 269 years ago, and veterans from the Revolutionary War are resting here.

I started my visit to this historic cemetery by visiting the grave of our 22nd and 24th President, Grover Cleveland.  Until President Trump was elected, President Cleveland was the only President to serve two non-consecutive terms. He was the first democrat elected president after the Civil War 

Just a short walk from President Cleveland’s grave is the obelisk that mark the grave of Civil War General David Hunter.  Now General Hunter is not very well thought of back in Virginia, especially in Lexington and Rockbridge County. 

In the summer of 1864 General Hunter executed a scorched earth campaign in the Shenandoah Valley. He hit Lexington exceptionally hard as he burned down VMI on June 11, 1864, in retaliation for VMI sending cadets to fight at New Market.

Hunter also ordered the home of former governor John Letcher burned in retaliation him having issued "a violent and inflammatory proclamation that incited the population of the country to rise and wage guerrilla warfare on Union troops.” Hunter also wreaked havoc on Washington College in Lexington, later Washington and Lee University. According to Fitzhugh Lee's who was the nephew of General Robert E. Lee, Hunter had no respect for colleges, or the private dwellings that were occupied by only women and children during the three days he occupied Lexington. General Hunter later served in the honor guard at the funeral of Abraham Lincoln and accompanied his body back to Springfield.

Just about 50-yards from President Cleveland and General Hunter is the grave of the 3rd President of the United States, Aaron Burr.  He served as Vice President under President Thomas Jefferson but is perhaps best remembered for his duel with Alexander Hamilton, on the morning of July 11, 1804. Hamilton was mortally wounded during the duel and died the Next Day. Aaron Burr was uninjured.

After his term as Vice President ended, he moved to the west and many thought that he was attempting to raise a fight force to challenge Government of the United States. He was arrested and tried for treason but was acquitted. 

Just a few yards from Aaron Burr is the grave of the man who some say established the gold standard of political polling. In the 1960’s and 70’s George Gallup and the Gallup poll was featured in every political campaign and used by every major broadcast and print media. 

My last stop was at the grave of Pete Carril, the Hall of Fame Basketball Coach who led the Princeton Tigers for over 30 years. 

Leaving Princeton. It took me about an hour to make it up to Montclair, New Jersey to visit the Yogi Berra Museum. 


Growing up my dad was a Yankee fan and his two favorite Yankees were Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra.  Through the years, I as a Dodger fan came to share my dad’s love for Yogi. I must say that the Yogi Museum is small but is packed full of Yogi history including Yogi’s 10-World Series Rings.

 I couldn’t leave without paying my respects to Yogi who is resting with his beloved Carmen at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in nearby East Hanover, New Jersey. 

 Then it was time to head across the Hudson River to the Holiday Inn Express in Westchester County, which is a few miles north of “The City.” Tomorrow, the adventure continues.



No comments:

Post a Comment