Tuesday, July 24, 2018

THREE STATES IN TWO MINUTES

Today, I moved from Paducah, Kentucky to St. Louis for a quick visit to a couple of sites that I had skipped on my previous visits to the City of the Arch. While the most direct route would have taken me north across the Ohio River on Interstate 24 into Southern Illinois and the up to Interstate 64 and into the City of St. Louis.  However I opted to take a move round about route and headed west on U. S. Route 60 to the Town of Wickliffe, Kentucky. 

The Confluence of the Ohio & Mississippi Rivers
It is here in Wickliffe that the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers merge. Just north of town I cross the the Ohio River just a few yard before it merges with the Mighty Mississippi.  By crossing the the river I leave Kentucky and enter into very southern tip of Illinois. Less than a minute later I cross the Mississippi River and leave Illinois and enter the State of Missouri. So I actually drove through three different states in a matter of 2-minutes. After crossing the Mississippi, it was just a short drive over to Interstate 55 where I headed north for two hour drive to St. Louis. 

With very light traffic I arrived at the U. S. Grant National Historic Site in South St. Louis.  This was the home of Frederick Dent, and it was here that Ulysses Grant would meet and marry his wife Julia Dent.  Ulysses first visited here to visit his West Point Classmate and friend Frederick Dent. During one of his visits Grant met Julia Dent who would become his wife on August 22, 1848. Following their marriage Grant was stationed at various posts in Michigan, New York and in the west. Julia continued to live here with here parents until Grant resigned from the army in 1854 and returned here to live with Julia and the Dent Family.  The would live here until 1859 when the couple and their small children moved to Illinois. When the Civil War began Grant answered the call and as they say the rest is history.

Only the first floor of the home is open for tours and none of the furnishings are original to the house or belongs to the Grant or Dent Families.  A ranger is on site to answer any questions.

Just across the street from the Grant Historical Site is Grant's Farm which is the site of the Grant/Dent Farm that was operated the families in the mid-1800's. Today the farm is operated by Anheuser-Busch and is no way connected with the Grant Historical site.

From the historic site I made my way to Grant's Farm. Basically it was a cluster from start to finish. 

It cost $13 to park which includes admission to the farm.  After parking I was greeted with a long line waiting to enter the park. Come to find out you can only gain access to the park by riding one of the trams.  The lines for the trams extended across the road and into the parking lot.  It took me abut 50-minutes to make it from the parking lot across the street. Once across the street it was another 40-minutes in line just to board the tram.

Once on the tram you ride through a small animal park that features deer and elk.  Then they let you off where you can go through what is basically a petting zone where they will sell you animal food to feed goats, camels and a few birds.

This is one of the few thing that I have done when on vacation that I absolutely didn't enjoy at all. After over an hour in line to get into the park, I ended up spending less than 45-minutes in the park.

I made it back to the parking lot and spent a few minutes touring the Clydesdale Barn before heading south to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. I had visited the Cemetery on a previous trip to St. Louis but it was too early to check into my hotel so I decided to make a return visit. 

Buried in Jefferson Barracks are Lieutenant Michael Blassie andJohn "Jack" Buck. Lieutenant Blassie was originally buried in the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery as the unknown soldier from the Vietnam War.  He was entomb at Arlington from 1984-1998.  His remains were eventually identified and were reinterred here.

Just a short distance from Lieutenant Blassie is the Grave of John F. Buck, who is better known as Jack Buck, the long time voice of the St. Louis Cardinals. Jack Buck is a member of the broadcasters wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame and was one of the greatest voices the game of baseball has ever known.

From Jefferson Barracks I made the 3-mile drive to my Hotel and after a quick supper I ventured about 5-miles north to one of the Iconic sites on old Route 66. I 1941, Ted Drewes opened up a frozen custard stand on Historic Route 66 which is today known in St. Louis as Chippewa.  For over 70 years it has been a staple of travelers on the Mother Road and is still one of the most popular spot in St. Louis. 

After enjoying a cup Peach Custard it was back to the hotel for the night.  Tomorrow, I really don't have a plan other than to eventually end up back in Louisville.


No comments:

Post a Comment