Wednesday, July 19, 2023

2023 DIXIE ADVENTURE - SAY HEY TO GOOBER

 

DAY #4-MAY 21, 2023 - JASPER, AL – CORNITH, MS

212 MILES/934 TOTAL MILES

The Holiday Inn here in Jasper turned out to be an excellent Hotel. It was quiet, the bed was comfortable, and I got a good night’s sleep. Last night, I came up with a basic plan for today, which basically entails heading over to Tupelo, Mississippi and eventually up to Cornith, Mississippi where I plan on spending the night.

The breakfast here was great! In addition to eggs, bacon, gravy and biscuits, the pancake machine was working. An added treat was the lady who tended to the breakfast area. She went out of her way to keep everything clean and stocked along with being a great person to talk to.

After breakfast and after I got the car packed, I stopped by the breakfast area for one last cup of coffee to take with me.  The breakfast lady insisted that I wait on the fresh coffee. So, while I waited for the coffee, I asked her if there was anything interesting to see in Jasper. 

She told me that everything worth seeing was closed on Sunday but if “you want to you could stop by and say Hey to Goober.” I must have looked at her kind of funny and she proceeded to tell me that George “Goober” Lindsey from the Andy Griffith Show is buried just up the street in Oak Hill Cemetery.

Now, several month back when I was first planning this trip and plugging certain cemeteries into Google Maps, I had George Lindsey and Oak Hill Cemetery on the original trip plan. But somewhere along the way it didn’t find it’s way into the final plan for this trip.

So, before I left the Holiday Inn, I did a quick search of that Original Google Pin Map, to see if I had missed anything else. Well come to find out there were a couple of other places that didn’t make the transfer.

So, before leaving the hotel I plugged a couple of more stops into the Google Map that will link to my Android Auto interface on my Honda in car display. So my original plan is basically just been extended by about 100 miles.

After leaving the Holiday Inn it was less than 5-miles out to Oak Hill Cemetery where I had not trouble finding “Goober” Grave.

George Lindsey was born and raised here in Jasper and during his teenage years he developed an interest in acting and began performing in school plays and at the neighborhood theater. He attended Florence Teachers College, graduating with degrees in Biological Science and Physical Education.

After a stint in the United States Air Force, George returned to where he took a job as a High School History Teacher. But the acting bug was still biting, and he soon moved to New York where he landed a part in a Broadway Play called “The All American,” which would lead to his first Television role on the “Rifleman.”

George followed up his “Rifleman” role with appearance on “The Twilight Zone, and “Ensign Pulver.”  But his big break came in 1964 when he was cast in the guest role of “Goober Beasley” on the Andy Griffith Show. Andy liked him so much that when Jim Nabors left the show George was recast in the reoccurring role of Goober Pyle.

He remained a regular on the Andy Griffith Show from 1964 thru 1968 and on the sequel Mayberry R.F.D from 1968 to 1971.

After the Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry R.F. D went off the air, George landed spots on shows like “Love American Style” and “MASH” But no matter where he went, he was still known as Goober.  In fact he resurrected the character as a regular member of the “Hee-Haw” Cast.

When he was not performing George donated his time and money to such causes as the Special Olympics and other programs to benefit children with Disabilities. George Lindsey passed away due to congested heart failure at the age of 83 on May 6, 2012.

Rather than getting on Interstate 22 and heading west toward Tupelo, I decided to alter my play and head north on the back roads of Northern Alabama toward the small town of Double Springs, Alabama.

Double Springs is the County Seat of Winston County, Alabama.

I made a quick stop at the county courthouse where there is a large water tank and a nice veterans statue standing in the parking lot across the street.

A few miles out of town at the Maxwell Chapel United Methodist Church. This is my next stop on my revised trip. It was just a few minutes after 11 a.m. and this being a Sunday Morning I figured there would be church service going on. I was prepared to wait a discrete distance until the services were over and those attending services had left.

But upon arriving I found the parking lot empty. Not a soul in sight. So, I parked in the small parking lot near the church and made my way over to the small cemetery adjacent to the small white church.


Here in this small cemetery, I quickly find the grave of Pat Buttram who was born here in Winston County on June 19, 1915. Pat was a versatile entertainer who early in his career he attended Southern College in Birmingham where he was studying to become a Methodist Minister.  While there he began performing in college plays in addition to performing on local radio Stations.

In the 1940’s he became a sidekick to Roy Rogers, but Roy already had two regulars and Pat was released and took a job with Gene Autry who was looking for a replacement for Smiley Burnette. Pat went on to star with Gen in more than 40 movies and became a regular on the Gene Autry show.

In Hollywood, Pat was regarded as an accomplished actor performing in dramatic roles as well as in comedy which was his favorite roles. In September 1965 Pat was cast in the role of Mr. Haney on the CBS Television Sitcom “Green Acres,” which aired from 1965 to 1971.

From then on he would be known where ever he went as Mr. Haney.  Pat Buttram died of renal failure on January 8, 1994. He was 78 years old.  

My next stop of the day was on my original list but when I was laying out my plan in the hotel, I decided to drop it because it was quite a bit out of the way. But from the Maxwell Chapel Church it was  only a little over 20-miles away to the Cedar Tree Cemetery in Hackleburg, Alabama. sing the Find-A-Grave Coordinates I quickly find the grave of country music star Sonny James. He was born Jimmie Hugh Loden on May 1, 1928, here in Hackleburg. He came from a musical family and began performing with his family at an early age.

His musical career was put on hold in 1950 when he spent a year on active duty with the National Guard in Korea. When he returned from active duty he embarked on a solo career and changed his name to “Sonny James.”

He had several song early in his career that did well, but his first really big hit was “Young Love,” released in 1956. He followed up “Young Love,” with 26 number 1 hits including an unprecedented 5-year steak of 16 straight Billboard Number 1 singles. Throughout his career he released a total of 72 pop and country songs. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2007.

Sonny James died in hospice care at the age of 87 on February 22, 2016.

From Hackleburg, Alabama it was my intention to get back to Interstate 22 and head toward Tupelo. Well, the first part of that panned out and I did find my way back to the Interstate and Headed west. Just as I crossed into Mississippi, I made a quick stop at the Mississippi Welcome Center.

I must say that Mississippi has some really nice rest areas. They are modern and clean and ranks right up there with Tennessee’s Rest Areas. Virginia’s rest areas by and large suck.

Back on the road I had one more planned stop before continuing on to Tupelo. But as few minutes after leaving the Welcome Center I saw one of those brown signs that captured my attention. So off I went on another unplanned detour.

Little did I know that Tremont, Mississippi was the birthplace of Virginia Pugh who is better known to country music Fans as Tammy Wynette. The Brown Sign on the Interstate directed me to the Tammy Wynette Legacy Center which is just a couple of miles away.

The Tammy Wynette Legacy Center is a large wood building and from the looks of the parking lot is a popular place.  On the way in I was greeted by some of the locals who told me this was the best place in town to eat. Probably because “It’s the only place in town to eat.

Once inside I found a small museum that displayed some of Tammy’s personal artifacts and dresses, along with posters and newspaper clippings highlighting her career. In the back of the building was the restaurant so I decided that eating lunch here would definitely be a better option than a gas station hot dog.

It was just good ole country eatin’. I chose the Country Style steak, mashed taters and Green Beans. It was really good and lived up to being the “Best Place in Town to Eat.”

After leaving the Tammy Wynette Legacy Center it was time to continue to my first planned stop of the day.  Soon after leaving the Interstate, it was back to the narrow country road of Mississippi. The 15-mile trip took almost 30 minute but I did arrive at the Pearce Chapel Cemetery in the rural community of Smithfield, Mississippi.

Here in the church cemetery is the grave of Grand Ole Opry Star Rod Brasfield who was born here in Smithfield on August 22, 1910. In his teens he performed with the Bisbee Comedians out Memphis Tennessee.  He started with the Bisbee Troupe for 10 years before serving in the military during World War II. 

After returning from his military service Rod was hired by the Solemn Ole Judge, George D. Hay to appear on the Grand Ole Opry. During his Opry Career he appeared often with Minnie Pearl. The Opry skits with Minnie and Rod was corn ball comedy at best.

Rod appeared on the Opry from 1944 until his death from a heart attack on September 12, 1958. For many years after his death his friend Minnie Pearl championed him for induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Minnie hard work paid off when Rod was inducted in 1987.

After wrapping up my visit to the Grave of Rod Brasfield, it was back to the Interstate and on to Tupelo. Finally, after several detours I arrived in Tupelo, Mississippi about 2:30 p.m. I made the short drive down to the Elvis Presley Birthplace.

The Birthplace contains the original two room home where Elvis Aaron Presley was born on

January 8, 1935. The visitor’s center is where you buy your tickets that includes the birth home, church, and museum.

The Museum contains a few artifacts from Elvis’s time here in Tupelo. They do NOT permit photos or video in the Museum. This restriction is strictly enforced. One lady attempted to take a photo with her cell phone and was asked to immediately leave.

You can take photo around the grounds and in the Birthplace. I took the 5-minute tour of the home which was conducted by a young lady that did not deviate from the well-rehearsed script.

I spent less than an hour at the Elvis Presley Birthplace which like Graceland is really a high-priced tourist trap. Unless you are a die-hard Elvis Fan it is not worth the time, money, or effort.

After leaving the Birthplace I headed about 6-miles west to the Loves Travel Center where I got gas and a cup of coffee. Then it was time to Head north to the Hampton Inn in Corinth, Mississippi.

The 50-mile drive up U. S. Route 45 from Tupelo to Corinth took about 45 minutes. I again made my reservation using the Hilton App and checked in and received my digital key through the App. I was able to bypass the front desk and proceed directly to my room.

After getting settle I walked across the street to the Cracker Barrel for Supper. This was one of the better Cracker Barrels. The food was hot and it seem to be adequately staffed.

Back at the Hampton Inn I settled in for the Night. The first part of tomorrow is pretty much set. I am planning on visiting some of the sites relating to Sheriff Buford Pusser and then touring the Shiloh Battlefield. The I will start making my way back toward Home.

I am not sure how far I will make it before calling it a day. I would at least like to make it as far as either Columbia or back to Chattanooga. But we will see. The Adventure continues.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment