Wednesday, July 12, 2023

2023 DIXIE ADVENTURE - A VISIT WITH GENTLEMAN JACK

 

MAY 19, 2023 - CHATTANOOGA, TN - HUNTSVILLE, AL151-MILES/492 TOTAL MILES

My original plan for this trip had me heading over to Savannah Tennessee to tour the Shiloh Battlefield. But when I started researching hotels in Savannah and Corinth, Mississippi, most were sold out for the weekend. So, I had to come up with a Plan B.

So, Last night in the Hampton Inn Hamilton Place here in Chattanooga, Tennessee, I came up with Plan B. So, let's hit the road.

Traffic this morning in Chattanooga was pretty light and I was able to zip through the downtown area at or close to the posted Speed Limit and soon I was on Interstate 24 headed west across the Tennessee River.

About an hour after leaving the Hotel, it was time for gas and coffee. So, I stopped at the Love's Travel Center on Interstate 24 at Exit 117 in Tullahoma, Tennessee. For the past few years, I have been using the Love's App mostly for the free coffee after you buy so many cups. But a few months ago, I began getting 10 cents a gallon off on gas purchases. This allows me to fill up with gas here for $3.09 per gallon.

 After getting my gas and coffee I leave Interstate 24 and head west on Highway 55 toward my first stop of the day in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Just about the only reason to come to Lynchburg it the Jack Daniel's Distillery. And that is indeed my reason for coming to this small town.

I have been to Lynchburg before. Back in 2004, Byron Dickerson and I stopped here and toured the distillery. So, this is not new to me but, I have always wanted to come back and spend more time. So, this is my opportunity.

After parking in the nearby lot, I made my way to the visitors’ center. You can purchase and schedule a tour online through the Jack Daniel's Website. But I as walked in, I figured that I may have to wait a while to get on a tour. But sometimes being a single traveler has its advantages. When I got to the tour desk, I was told that there was one opening for the next tour scheduled for 10:30 a.m.

So, I only had about a 10-minute wait before our tour guide joined us and off we went. One of the thing that I remember from the 2004 visit was they were burning a large "rick" to make charcoal. Well, once again, I hit it lucky as during this visit they were once again burning wood and making charcoal. Jack Daniel's makes its own charcoal that they use to filter the 140-proof whisky that will eventually become the famous Tennessee Whiskey.

Along the tour we not only get to see everything from making the charcoal, to the fermenting and distilling to the barreling and bottling process. We ever saw the large limestone spring that furnishes every drop of water that is used in the making of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey.

We had a wonderful tour guide named "Emily" who was not only informative but also funny and entertaining. Back in 2018, I took several distillery tours along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. There were all very good and Interesting, but I have to say the tour here at Jack Daniel's is by far the best. The entire tour lasted about, an hour and 15-minutes and it did involve a lot of walking.

After completing my distillery tour, I walked the short distance to the Square in Lynchburg, Here located on the courthouse square are several small shops and restaurants. Back in 2004, Byron and I ate lunch the BBQ Caboose. Well, it is still here and the food was good back in 2004 so I decided to have lunch again. I am pleased to say I had a good lunch again.

 After lunch I continued my walk around the square checking
out a few of the shops. Most of them were selling Jack Daniels souvenirs. After my lunch and my walk around the square, it was back to the Jack Daniel's Visitor's Center where I wrapped up my visit by buying a couple of Souvenirs and a fridge magnet.


I walked back to my car and drove the short distance to the Lynchburg Cemetery to visit the grave of Gentleman Jack Himself. His grave is easy to find, because there are two iron benches
  on each side of his stone encouraging visitors to sit down and have a sip of Old No. 7.

 It was early afternoon when I departed Lynchburg and headed toward Huntsville, Alabama which is my destination for the night. It took me about an hour and a half to make the drive down to Huntsville. Still have a couple of hour left, I decided to take the Tour of the U. S. Space and Rocket Center. again, back in 2004, Byron and I stopped here and spend the afternoon before driving on down to Birmingham. So, having a couple of hours to kill I paid the $30 for the self-guided tour of the Museum and Rocket Gardens.

 This was basically a waste of time as most of the museums were closed as they were changing and creating new exhibits. The few exhibits that were open were mostly simulators, interactive things designed for kids. I spend most of my time here walking through the Rocket Gardens and the outdoor exhibits that surround the full-size rockets.

 I ended up spending about 90 minutes at the Rocket Center. Then it was off to Oakwood Memorial Gardens. One of the things that I wanted to do on this adventure was visit the graves of several notable people and record footage for my YouTube Channel

 Located very near my hotel for the night was Oakwood Memorial Gardens which is the final resting place of Richard Wayne Penniman, who is better known as "Little Richard."

He was born Richard Wayne Penniman on December 5, 1932, in Macon, Georgia. He was the third of twelve children.

 He joined the band in high school where in 1947, he was overheard singing at Macon City Auditorium. Afterwards he was asked to open the show that day, which he did. Richard got his nickname from Buster Brown when he joined his orchestra in 1950. His first of many recording contracts was with RCA Victor. With no successful recordings at RCA his next label was with Specialty Records where he recorded his hit "Tutti Frutti." He followed up "Tutti Frutti" with his second hit, "Good Golly, Miss Molly."

 In 1986, Little Richard was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as one of the first charter inductees. During his career he recorded 26 albums and appeared in 26 films, animated films and television shows. He recorded on 12 different labels.

 Little Richard Died at the age of 87 on in Tullahoma, Tennessee on May 9, 202 in Tullahoma, Tennessee.

 It took me about 40 minutes to record the footage for my YouTube Channel. It only took me about 5 minutes to make the 2-mile drive to My Hotel.

Because the rates at the nearby Holiday and Hampton Inns were over $200 a night, I decided to stay at the Sleep Inn & Suites on University. Before making my reservation, I check the reviews on both the Choice and Trip Advisor Websites. The reviews were mostly good and raised no red flags.

 Once again, this Sleep Inn did not measure up. The front desk clerk who checked me in was border line rude. He certainly wasn't friendly or professional. The only greeting I received upon entering was "Reservation?" I replied yes, and he curtly replied, "Last Name and Credit Car." That was the only interaction between us until he shoved the registration sheet in front of me, "3-initials and signature."

In my room I found a water filled plastic bag still in the Ice Bucket. The rest of the room seemed clean.

 One of the Trip Advisor Reviews for this Hotel mentioned a problem with the Internet Security Certificate. This review was several months so I assumed the security issue had been corrected. Well, you know what happens when you assume.

When I attempted to sign into the hotel Wi-Fi, I got the same security violation that was described in the previous review. So, I couldn't use the Wi-Fi and used my Telephone Hot Spot. The Wi-Fi at this Hotel is a hacker’s dream.

 I toughed it out at this Sleep Inn and set about planning my day for tomorrow. The adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment