Wednesday, April 4, 2018

ONE MORE NIGHT

(APRIL 3, 2018) It was again cloudy and chilly as I left Little Rock. I had thought about stopping at the Bill Clinton Presidential Library on the way out of town but decided against it.  A lot of museums have special temporary exhibits that they cycle out from time to time. After looking on line it appeared the temporary exhibit was dealing with Hillary, who I have absolutely no interest in.

So, without delay I headed east on Interstate 40 toward Memphis. With a couple of coffee a stops along the way I passed the Bass Pro Shops Pyramid crossed the Mississippi River on Hernando de Soto Bridge and entered the State if Tennessee some three and a half hours after leaving Little Rock.

I had thought about visiting the Lorraine Motel but with tomorrow being the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's assassination I figured it would be a mad house of activity. So I continued on through Memphis without stopping.

Some 70-miles later I stopped at Jackson Tennessee and made a brief visit to the Casey Jones Village. It's a tourist trap that is centered around the home of the legendary railroad engineer John Luther "Casey" Jones who was killed when his train crashed into another train near Vaughan, Mississippi. The legend of Casey Jones was immortalized in a song by Wallace Sanders, and here is the great Johnny Cash singing the Ballad of Casey Jones.


After a quick stop at the Casey Jones Village I hit the road and worked my way east on Interstate 40 toward Music City.

By mid-afternoon I was just west of Nashville and decided to stop at the Harpeth Hill Memory Gardens and visit the graves of a couple Country Music Stars.

Probably the biggest star resting here is perhaps the greatest guitar players of all time; Mr. Chet Atkins. In addition to being a star on the Grand Ole Opry and a legendary country music performer he was also a top record executive, producing records for such stars as Waylon Jenning, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and Jerry Reed. Chet Atkins was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1973.

Also rest here are Charlie and Ira Louvin. The Louvin Brothers were regular members of the Grand Ole Opry in the 1950's and early 1960's. Ira died in a car crash in 1965. Charlie continued to perform on the Grand Ole Opry until shortly before his death in 2011. The Louvin Brothers were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2001.

My final stop was at the grave of Doug Dillard.  Most folks won't know who Doug Dillard is but they will recognize him as one of the Darling Boys from the Andy Griffith Show. Take a listen to Briscoe Darling and his boys from the "Mountain Wedding" episode of the Andy Griffith Show. Doug is the one playing the guitar and singing.



After leaving Harpeth Hills it took me about 50-minutes to make the 30-mile drive to my Hotel in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This will be my last night on the road, as tomorrow I plan on touring the nearby Stones River National Battlefield before I hit the road and click off the final 400 miles of what has been a magnificent journey.  Tomorrow Night I will be sleeping in my own bed for the first time in exactly one month.

So tomorrow the journey will end, but we still have 400 miles to got so we will just have to see what's around the bend.

TODAY'S MILES:  387
TOTAL MILES:     5,818

No comments:

Post a Comment