Sunday, April 22, 2018

VIDEOS AND OTHER STUFF

I have been working on the videos from my trip to Texas and will be uploading them over the next few weeks to my YouTube Channel. As I said before, getting Videos converted and edited and uploaded is a lot of work. But I am getting them done slowly but surely. Today I am posting the video from my visit to Huntsville, Texas. I enjoyed Huntsville and glad I was able to spend most of the day here. It a great little town and the people were the definition of Texas Hospitality.  You can read my Blog entry about my visit to Huntsville Here

The update on the data recovery from my old computer is, there really is none.  I checked in with the data recovery guy and he is extremely busy with commercial customers and haven't started the data transfer yet. The guy is doing this in his spare time and really not charging me anything for his time. He is a good guy and a good friend. He did tell me that they have recovered some of my data so that is a good thing.

Since I have been back home I have really started to reconsider a few thing. The trip to Texas was the longest trip both miles and time wise and it renewed my interest in traveling full time. I have often considered buying a motor home and hitting the road full time.

During the Texas Trip, I really enjoyed the fact that I had no time constraints and could just travel at my leisure. I also enjoyed the freedom to travel and see the sites that I just happened to stumble on, like the Waco Mammoth.

I have talked to a number of people who RV full time and everyone of them tell me that you have to be able to fix stuff that will break on your RV.  They point out that an RV is not only a vehicle but it is you home on wheels and things are going to break as you move up and down the road. This would be a major problem for me as I am not handy at repairing thing. In fact it if it involves anything more than changing a light bulb, I'm lost.

Also I really hated having to lug suitcases and camera bags in an out of hotels every day. Repacking the car was a chore that I really disliked. But another thing to consider when thinking about RV'ing Full time, is that instead of lugging suitcases and having to repack the car, you have to hook and unhook utilities, sewer and water connections every time you move. Plus, being a person that likes long hot showers, if I boondock I would really have to manage my water uses. Advantages and disadvantages.

The RV thing is just a thought right now but I did stop the other day and look a some of the small class A's and some Class C's. No I am not anywhere close to buying one, but I am considering maybe renting one and taking a short weekend trip to see how things go. We will see.

But since I have been back home, I have had the Itch to hit the road again. Nothing anywhere close to the Texas Trip but a weekend or 5 or 6 day trip to some where. I have a couple of ideas so don't be surprised if I hit the road again.

One thing that I want to do now that winter has finally left us is do more videos on local site. I have a couple of things in mind and may try and get a couple of them shot over the next few weeks. 

While traveling, I really like to get off of the interstate and travel the old roads. During the Texas Trip I spend an entire day of traveling the Mother Road, Old Route 66.  This got me thinking, while Route 66 is the best known of the old roads, there are others highway that are still in use and are worth exploring. One Right Here in my Virginia.

So I am really looking at beginning a major (at least major for me) project where I explore U.S. Route 11 through Virginia.  Route 11 extends more than 300 miles through Virginia from Bristol to Winchester. Along the way it passes through some small towns with character. I have always said that if you want to see the real character of America, get off the interstates and take your time traveling on the back roads and through the small towns.

The Route 11 project is in the early planning stages but it is on the agenda, so maybe that will satisfy my travel itch during the summer.

So it is beginning to look like a busy summer ahead of me. Anyway here is the video of my visit to Huntsville.








No comments:

Post a Comment