Monday, October 22, 2018

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS

Marshall, Texas
I woke morning I woke up in the City of Texarkana. If fact, according to my GPS half of my car was sitting in Texas and the other half was in Arkansas. As I walked from one end of the car to the other my GPS would say "Welcome to Texas" or "welcome to Arkansas" depending on which direction I was walking.

Dallas, Texas
The rest of today and most of the day tomorrow will be spent in the State of Texas. I can remember in 1984 my dad and I enter Texas at Texarkana and traveled through Dallas, Fort Work and the Permian Basin on the way to California. We exited the state of Texas at El Paso some 940 miles later. The Texas Eagle is Taking a more indirect spurt of through Austin, San Antonio And up the Rio Grand from Del Rio. This route will be keep up on the Lone Star State well over 1100 miles.

I had breakfast while we were stopped at Marshall Texas. We had a crew change here in Marshall and got a new locomotive crew and a new Conductor. We will get a new service crew, including Car attendants and dining and Cafe staff, later tonight when our cars are added to the Sunset Limited from New Orleans and it continues on to Los Angeles.
Reunion Tower

We had a quick stop in Dallas but I was able to get off the train just for a couple of minutes and snap a few Photos of the R
eunion Tower and the old Texas School Book Depository. As we were departing Dallas, the Texas Eagle crossed the Famed triple underpass giving me a unique look down Elm Street at the Assassination Site including Dealey Plaza, The Grassy Knoll and The book depository.

Texas School Book Deposi

From Dallas we made the 40 minute trip over to Fort Worth where wh had about a 40 minute service stop. Here the locomotive was refueled and resupplied with water and food service. From Fort Worth we headed south and arrived in the capital City of the Lone Star State at about 7:15. From Austin we have a few short station stops before our long lay over in San Antonio. We are schedule to depart San Antonio at about 2:35 and heard west arriving I n Del Rio about 6 a.m. With our departure from San Antonio the clock starts fresh provided we depart on time.
Station Stop - Fort Worth, Texas

So my plan is to be up and have Breakfast in Del Rio and start our journey up the Rio Grande toward El Paso.

No comments:

Post a Comment