Tuesday, March 20, 2018

GEORGE H. W. BUSH PRESIDENTIAL MUSEUM

(MARCH 13, 2018) Today, started in College Station as I spent the night at one of the newest and nicest Sleep Inn's that I have ever stayed at.  I really like the new design of the rooms and hope the Choice Hotel Chain keeps it in their future plans.

Anyway today started with a short 5-mile drive to the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum on the campus of Texas A&M University.  This would be my only tourist activity for the day as this afternoon I will head toward Dallas.

Parking is free at the Bush 41 Library and Museum and after going through security I am greeted by some of the nicest staff people I have every met. They really make you feel welcome and seem to be sincerely happy to have you visit.  President and Mrs. Bush can be very pleased with how these wonderful people represent them.

One of the first things you see upon entering the museum is the Presidential Limo that was used during Presidents Bush's time in the White House.  "The Beast" as it is called by the Secret Service is an amour plated command center designed to protect the president while allowing him to be safely transported both at home and abroad.

As you make your way through the museum, staff members are available to and questions and every take a photo of you sitting at the presidents desk in a replica of the Oval Office.

I spent about 4-hours touring the museum and ground and enjoyed every minute of it. Prior to today the Eisenhower Museum and the Truman Museum had been my favorites and I have to say The Bush 41 Museum ranks right up there.

This is the first of three Presidential Museums that I want to visit while in Texas. While in Dallas I intend to visit the George W. Bush (Bush 43) Library and Museum on the Campus of Southern Methodist University and then finally want to Visit the Lyndon Johnson Presidential Library and Museum on the Campus of the University of Texas in Austin.  I also want to visit the LBJ Ranch in the Hill Country near Johnson City.

After spending about 4-hours at the Bush 41 Museum it was time to head north toward Dallas. I made my way back to Interstate 45 and my 150-mile trip to the Dallas Area was largely uneventful and traffic free until I got to the Plano area and it took me about 45-minutes to go the final 10-miles. Today I also hit another milestone in my trip, I busted through the 2,000 mile barrier and I am not working my way toward 3,000 miles.

I made it and am all checked into the Comfort Suites for the Night. Since I am in Dallas basically a day early, I intend to play tomorrow by ear and spend some time with my niece Jenna who lives in the Dallas Area.

TODAY'S MILES: 216
TOTAL MILES:     2123

No comments:

Post a Comment