Monday, March 12, 2018

PIDDLIN IN CAJUN COUNTRY

(MARCH 8, 2018) Today was a day where I had no real plan other than getting from point A to point B and just seeing what was in between. I started the day ( Point A) in Vicksburg, Mississippi and quickly made my way across the Mighty Mississippi on Interstate 20 and entered the State of Louisiana.

The old Mississipp was quite muddy and up stream flood waters were making their way south. Some of the Streets along the river banks were getting dangerously close to being Flooded. There was standing water several hundred yards on the Louisiana aide of the bridge, but from talking to people in Vicksburg flooding is a common occurrence and nobody seems to excited about it.

I managed to leave I-20 for a few mile and traveled U. S. Route 80 west through the town of Tallulah
, Louisiana. It's a small Louisiana town with a nice courthouse square. People don't seem to be in any hurry and didn't mind stopping and talking to "the stranger with a camera" that was taking picture of their courthouse.  Life is a little slower here, and that is the beauty of small towns.

A few miles later I was back on I-20 and made my way to the Pilot Travel Center in Raysville, Louisiana.  This would be the third tank of gas on this trip. I started this trip by filling up in Christiansburg, and that carried me all the way to Talladega, Alabama. The Talladega fill up carried me across the Mississippi River and on to Raysville, Louisiana - 438 Miles and 34.71 mils per gallon.

A short time later I breezed through Monroe, Louisiana and into West Monroe.  I couldn't pass through West Monroe without visiting the Duck Commander Headquarter, made famous by the Robinson Family and the TV Show "Duck Dynasty.

There were quiet a bit of construction going on and none of the cast were in and they weren't doing any tours of the offices made famous by the show.  I bought a couple of things from the Gift Shop, snapped a few pictures and my visit was over.  On the way back to the interstate I stopped at another spot made famous by the show, "Willie's Duck Diner," and decided to have lunch.

The name has to be the draw, because the service and food is nothing to write home about.  There was only few people in the place. Most of them tourist like me that were drawn here by the name and the TV Show. I guess the local know what to expect and stay away.  The service was really slow and when my Jambalaya came it was only luke warm. Total cost of my meal including tip was a little over $21.00. I can say I've there but it is a place that I wouldn't go back too. 

From West Monroe it was on west. On the way I was just piddlin along and saw a sign for Gibsland, Louisiana. I remember reading years ago that this was where Bonnie and Clyde were killed by Law Enforcement in 1934 and that some guy runs a museum dedicate to the Bonnie & Clyde Ambush. 

So I decided to go take a look and see what I could find.  Gibsland is a really tiny town with only one
street. Right in the middle of town is "The Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Museum." So I parked in front of the place and made my way inside.

The guy that runs the place is quiet a character and was more than happy to let me look around his museum for $6.00. The tour includes a 15-minute video which is narrated by the son one of the law enforcement officers who participated in the ambush. If you are into this kind of stuff, and I am, it was pretty interesting. 

The museum itself was mostly copies of newspaper stories and copies of old photos relating to the life and death of the famous pair.  I spent about an hour browsing around museum. After touring the museum I ask the guy that runs the place where the ambush site actually was. He said it was about 8 miles south of town and was happy to give me directions.  

One thing that I found interesting was the room where the Museum is currently located used to be Ma Canfields Cafe. The morning of the ambush, Bonnie and Clyde had breakfast here. It turned out to be their last meal. The pair left the cafe and head south on Route 154, not known that a friend of theirs had set them up and that law officer were laying in wait for them.

As the two drove down the then dirt road, they say their friend parked on the side of the road with what appeared to be a flat tire.  As Clyde pulled up and stopped the officer who were hiding in the wood about 20-yard away opened fire. In less than 20-seconds, they fired more than 100 round in to the car. Clyde was hit 50 times and Bonnie was struck 53 time. Needless to say they died instantly and that was the end of Bonnie and Clyde. 
After leaving the museum I was curious so I decided to follow his direction and see if I could find the ambush site.  Following the directions I had no trouble finding the site and the two markers that have been place there. One maker simply says this was the site where Bonnie and Clyde were killed by law enforcement on May 23, 1934. The marker has had pieces chipped away by souvenir hunter.  The second maker is really quiet new and is dedicated to the 6-lawmen who participated in the ambush. 

For a spur of the moment stop, this was a pretty good way to spend the afternoon. I love finding things like this when I am just out piddlin' around.

From Gibsland, it was on to Shreveport and the Sleep Inn where I am spending the night. Today I went over 1,000 miles for the trip and tomorrow I should be close to 1,400. Beaumont Texas will be my destination for tomorrow night. 

TODAY'S MILES:   216
TOTAL MILES:       1110


Here is a short video I made at the Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Site.





1 comment:

  1. Wow! I really enjoyed this article and video; the info on Bonnie and Clyde's final day on earth was fantastic. You've proven America has a lot to see off the beaten path. And comparing your visits to a very well known tourist "trap" and an out of the way marker commemorating an event - well, I doubt in 80 years anybody will be eating at that joint in West Monroe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete